Saturday, June 13, 2009

Deer Valley 09

Kohl on his first race



Despite being under the weather all week I showed up to race Deer Valley this morning. I knew I wouldn't have quite the power and speed I needed to contend with the fast guys in my group, but I did my best.

The other reason I was anxious to go was that my oldest son (5) finally started riding without his training wheels this week and so instantly thinks he's ready to race, who am I to say no to a budding young cyclist? So we went, despite the seemingly gloomy outlook for good riding weather and despite my persistent hacking cough.

Sometimes you just have to take a chance and not dwell on the 'what ifs'. This is what we did and it turned out to be a great day. Kohl finished 1 lap of the 3 expected for the 9 and under category, but he was happy with that, he crashed no less that 5 times, but got back up every time and continued. His two key observations from his first race experience: 1. This grass is bumpier than our grass at home AND 2. I need gloves for when I crash so my hands don't get all muddy. Wisdom IS gained through experience!

So while Kohl is learning the subtleties of mountain bike racing I'm more concerned with the harsh reality of climbing ability and trying to stay with the leaders. True to form they took off hard and, while Little Stick kept the pace methodical for the first 10 minutes or so, it still put me 11 spots off the front. I had to battle my way through six category riders to get to my final spot, about a minute back of Brad and 2 minutes behind the leader today - John. It was some good racing in good conditions on a tough but fun course. Geno and I spent most of the race swapping places until I finally put enough time on him on one downhill section that he didn't come back and slide by me again.

I felt ok, not 100%, but ok and I'm content with the result. Now a few weeks to get healthy and do some training for the July races.

Downhill back toward the finish

2 comments:

KC said...

nice job to both of you guys.

ER Dad said...

That's sooooo coooool to have Kohl be part of the racing fun! Way to go Kohl!