Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Neverending Winter

Sometimes it may seem that way in Utah. The snows come, and come, and come and then sometime in March things start to warm up a bit and the storms become more infrequent. The unpredictability of the weather is actually nice, if I needed consistent, predictable weather I would have remained in San Diego. I prefer the changes the only problem is planning your early season riding around the freakish weather. At this time of year you almost have to drop everything and take advantage of 50 degree weather and dry trails because the next day they could be covered in an inch of snow. Such has been the case almost every week here lately.

Just when I think I won't have to go to the spin class at Gold's anymore it snows or rains again. Don't get me wrong I don't mind instructors yelling at me or even the Miley Cyrus tunes so much, but the constant dribble about American Idol, the Bachelor and any number of other current Hollywood gossip stories gets to be a bit too much. Where are the instructors telling stories about their recent ride in Moab or Fruita or their trip last summer to l'Alpe d'Huez. Sure the majority of the class are just there for a cardio work-out and don't actually 'ride' bikes, but I can even see some of them rolling their eyes while trying to give their best impression of a hamster on caffeine.

Oh well, some day winter will end and I can go back to yelling at myself while riding on dirt and actually getting somewhere and won't be home in time for Dancing with the Stars because there will still be plenty of daylight and trail available for me to explore. If I didn't have winter and spin class perhaps I wouldn't appreciate the actual beauty of Utah and the great variety and availability of riding we have here.

No comments: